The Colégio Militar (Military School) is a State School, depending from the Ministry of National Defence and responsible to the Army, and provides courses at the level of the 2nd and 3rd cycles of Basic and Secondary Education for the male children of military staff and civilians; it is both a boarding and a day school, and also ministers basic military education to the students.
The Colégio Militar was founded in Oeiras, in 1803, and named then as the College for the Education of the Court’s Artillery Regiment, and sited in the Feitoria barracks, by Colonel Teixeira Rebelo, commander of that military unit, near the Fort of St. Julian. In 1814 the College was transferred to the building of the Hospital of Our Lady of Prazeres, in the Luz quarter of Lisbon, and named Royal Colégio Militar. Meanwhile, in accordance with several educational and military reforms which took place during two centuries of History, it was installed in Rilhafoles Convent, then again in the same Luz quarter and, later, in Mafra Convent. Finally, in 1873, the Colégio Militar was installed for the third time in the Luz quarter where it is now located.
The Colégio Militar was the first school for many illustrious national personalities in the most diversified areas of activity, military first of all, but equally in politics, sciences, arts and sports, amongst others.
The National Standard of the Colégio Militar is the most decorated of the Portuguese Army, displaying important national and foreign decorations. Its motto “ONE FOR ALL, ALL FOR ONE” represents in short the traditional camaraderie and solidarity which bonds all the Students and former Students of the Colégio Militar.