The Military Academy is a Military University Education Establishment, which undertakes teaching, research and community support activities, with the essential aim of training Officers to be integrated in the Permanent Cadres of the Military Armed Forces and Services and of the National Republican Guard.
The Military Academy was named as such in 1959, and its historical ancestry dates from the Army School, founded in 1837 by Marquis Sá da Bandeira, although its origins go back to 1640, to the War of Restoration, when the classes of Artillery and Geometry were set up, and higher military education commenced for the first time in Portugal.
The facilities of the Military Academy are currently installed in two barracks, the Headquarter Barracks in Lisbon and a detachment in the city of Amadora. The Headquarter Barracks, apart from the command structures, house the living quarters and training installations for the students of the last years of the engineering courses and for the health service students, from internship to sports facilities. The Amadora Detachment, apart from the command structures of the Student Corps, houses the living quarters and training installations for the students of the remaining courses.